Air Line Pilots Association
Location: US-VA-Tysons (McLean)
Job ID: 2022-0040
# of Positions Type: 1
Category: Information Technology & Services - Supervisor, Application Development
Project Manager/Supervisor, Application Development
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 65,000 pilots at 40 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks an experienced Supervisor, Application Development for our office in Tysons (McLean), Virginia. The Supervisor, Application Development leads a team of application developers focused on delivering web applications and integrations. They are responsible for managing projects, planning, organizing, leading, and motivating teams to achieve a high level of performance and quality in delivering projects that provide exceptional value to the Association. As such they provide the overall direction across teams and functions to successfully deliver projects.
They effect change at the enterprise level, leading and managing large, complex projects consisting of multiple teams and/or requiring integration where necessary. At the team level, they perform in a consultative role, putting in place the people, processes, and tools necessary to optimize the efficiency of the project team, coaching team members as needed. They use their judgment and skill to develop an approach suitable to achieve project goals within existing constraints. Overall, they provide the appropriate level of planning necessary to provide the optimum balance of project agility and predictability across the Association, frequently in partnership with Communications and other departments.
Success in this position requires strong project management experience and the ability to communicate effectively with technical and executive audiences. They will have experience leading development efforts with matrixed teams from diverse and/or technical functional areas. Their people and communication skills with peers and executives are strong and they have demonstrated the ability to multitask on multiple projects in a fast-paced and collaborative team environment.
Travel: 10 - 20%.
ALPA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in a safe workplace. We prohibit discrimination, harassment and harmful behavior of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or other protected characteristics as outlined in federal or provincial laws. We highly value everyone and all are encouraged to apply, including minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant area, e.g., Information Technology, Information Systems Management, Business Administration, or related field, required from an accredited college or university; master's degree preferred; or, the equivalent combination of education and practical experience.
- Five (5) years of project management experience required, eight (8) or more years strongly preferred.
- Two (2) to three (3) years of experience as a hands-on Project Manager (PM) required. Four (4) or more years strongly preferred.
- Experience leading project management efforts within an organization, acting as the PM Subject Matter Expert (SME) for a department or larger organizational unit, with the proven ability to lead software development projects and ensure objectives, goals, and commitments are met.
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle (SDLC) models as well as expert knowledge of Agile project management principles and practices.
- Experience leading teams implementing web applications and system integrations in a .NET environment a definite plus.
- .Net development experience a plus.
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands and multiple tasks concurrently.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills - including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building - for effective interaction with contacts, internal and external.
- Proven ability to learn business processes quickly and to work well with partners at different levels within the organization.
- An ability to work independently in ambiguous situations and relate well to all levels of the Association is required.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint required. Experience with project management tools a plus. Jira issue and project tracking software a definite plus.
- Certified Agile Project Manager (Cert.APM™); Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM®); or, Certified Scrum Professional (CSP®-SM) a definite plus.
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP)® a plus.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below. Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position; move about the office and the local metropolitan area; determine what others have said or written; and, converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel (locally, nationally, and occasionally internationally). May also include occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
Relocation Not Provided.
Sponsorship not available for this position.
Preferred Years Of Experience:5 Year(s)
Education Required:4 Year Degree - BA
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Travel:Up to 10% Travel
Share On :